From:
Bob Tinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 2015 21:36:53 -0400
Ron,

If your friend has windows 8, make sure he upgraded to 8.1 because that
upgrade fixed a lot of issues that were present when 8 first came out.
I tried classic shell, but didn't like it, so I just learned how to
navigate windows 8.1.  All of his files are still there, but you have to
get to them in a different way.  One command key that I use a lot is
"Windows X" which brings up a list of often used commands.  I actually
love 8.1 now, but it took a while.  8.1 is much faster than 7 and
programs can crash with out crashing the system.

There is no start menu in 8.1 where you can find a listing of all your
programs.  You can find that in File Explorer under drive C. His
documents are located under c:\users\his user name.

Microsoft has stated that windows 10 will be a free upgrade for all
windows 8 and 7 users for one year after ten comes out.  Microsoft is
even releasing a free Windows 10 version for the Raspberry PI

Bob, K8LR, [log in to unmask]