From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Nov 2009 23:14:51 -0700
on the
www.IRLP.net
sight there is a listing of repeaters and locations that have IRLP nodes.
It gives repeater/link call sign, frequency, tone, access codes and status,
that is, weather they are working or down.
I thought there was one like that on the echolink sight as well, but now
that I think of it, that would be nearly impossible to keep current.
Echolink, unlike IRLP, is not standardized or regulated through a server or
group of people.
Anyone can interface their radio with the computer to use echolink, whereas,
an IRLP node must be registered and have user access to the IRLP servers.
Also, there is the echolink users that only use computer to computer aspects
of the software.
Anyone can randomly, and legally setup an echolink node on any repeater by
using say a kenwood TM V71 without even needing an external interface.
The repeater op might not like it, but there's nothing legally he/she can do
about it as long as the link isn't causing spirious emitions or causing
intentional interpherence to repeater communications.
So many repeater ops think their machines are their castle and that they
make the regs concerning their machines..but essentially, it is just a more
complex transceiver that, as long as used only by amateurs, is completely
public.
As long as an amateur meets FCC or IC criteria, he/she can operate on any
ham frequency he/she is allowed to by license, even if that frequency is the
input of a repeater.
Frequency allocations in the US and canada, other than band edges, are
totally self policed or settup by volunteers to help organize
communications.  They are not entrenched in legislation or regulation.
You can, quite legally, use SSB on a repeater input frequency.  As long as
you aren't intentionally preventing others from communicating on that
particular frequency, then your fine.
If a repeater input happens to be there, and your SSB signal is opening the
transmitter of the repeater, then it is actually, legally, the repeater ops
responsibility to shut the repeater down, not prevent you from transmitting
a legal mode on a legal frequency.
This is why there are ethics, and standard amateur operating procedures.
You aren't in personal control of anything beyond the frequency you are
transmitting on.  An operator of an amateur transmitter can only control
interpherence or communications on the frequency, or frequencies, he is
transmitting on at one time.
If your transmition is being re transmitted, or repeated by another operator
on another frequency, well, that is his responsibility by the same nature
that you are responsible for the frequency you are on.
again, legality and regulations are the letter of the law, and then there
are ethics and good operating procedure.
I appologize for my digression away from the original question lol.

73
Colin, V A6BKX