From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 12:31:47 -0500
Sure, Howard.

My comparisons aren't complete yet, but here are some basics.

Due to its longer length, of course, the Cobra ultralite does much better
than the DXCC on 80 meters.  The DXCC can work on 80, but its much narrower,
and requires constant tuning very quickly when you get outside of the area
on 80 where it is resonant.

For reasons that I don't quite understand, the DXCC beats the Cobra
Ultralite hands down on 40 meters.  I had hoped that the Cobra would do
better on 40, but since the DXCC is so good on that band, I don't worry
about it too much.

20 and 10 meters are ok with either antenna, although I think the DXCC may
do a bit better on 10 than the Cobra.

15 meters is still a bit of a mystery to me here.  For some reason, the DXCC
has a 5.0 to 1 SWR across the band, and I have written to the Alpha Delta
folks about that issue.  It would seem that the SWR's should be lower, since
the 40 meter element is used on 15 meters, and the 40 meter element looks
fine as far as I can tell.  The Cobra does work reasonably well on 15
though, so I'm not totally out of luck on that band.

I haven't done any comparisons yet on the WARC bands, although I'm thinking
the Cobra may do better because it is fed by ladder line.

These are all observations from my home QTH, so, as our friend Butch would
say:  "You're milage may vary.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ