From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:00:10 -0700
you made sure you got the diamond antenna that does all 3 bands right?
unless you don't intend on using the 220 band?
there is only one diamond HT antenna that is tuned for all 3 bands and that
is the SRH320a.
There are a few other diamond HT antennas but they're mostly dual band 2M
70CM antennas.
I am surprised the SRH320 is that cheap.
HF is ok on the f6 as long as you have an external antenna.
The diamond antenna will not hear anything below the FM broadcast band.
The internal bar antenna works ok below 10MHZ, such as on the AM broadcast
band, but hears nothing on 80M or 40M...if you use even a random wire
antenna with an SMA connecter on the end, strung up around a room or even
lying on the floor, you'll be able to hear some HF stuff.
it isn't anything like the receiver on a real HF radio, but it does hear.  I
had it hooked up to the quarter wave VHF whip on the car and heard some
activity on 20 meters driving around town.
somethings to look at are the miracle whip antenna, or other HF
mobile/portible antennas to improve receive if that's what you want.  You
can get a multi band mobile/portible HF antenna these days for around $100
or less.
Check on
www.universal-radio.com

and see their selection of multi-band HF to UHF antennas...there are some
that are really quite inexpensive.
73
Colin, V A6BKX