From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:41:07 -0400
The going price on an HTX-202 is $75 - $80.  That is the range they were
being priced at through R&L Electronics.

Also, the Icom IC-02AT might be an attractive replacement.  On the less
expensive side, you can probably find an old Icom IC-2AT kicking around,
but that will run somewhat lower power, i.e. 1 to 3 watts depending upon
which battery pack is used.  The advantage to this one is very low current
drain, hence long operating times without switching batteries.  The
disadvantage is that it requires minor cosmetic modifications on the
thumbwheels to make frequency selection accessible, and it is more prone to
intermod than the other radios that I've mentioned.

73, de Lou K2LKK

  At 05:55 AM 9/18/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Hello, Everyone,
>
>I find myself in an interesting position here.  Last weekend I purchased an
>Icom 706 at the local ham fest at what was a very good price but when I
>brought it home I learned from my xyl that she had somehow missed our August
>house payment and, especially since we're in the middle of a refinance, she
>had to pay two payments this month.  Ouch!  That one hurt a lot.  I find
>myself needing to rethink my radio choices in order to afford to keep the
>706.  Thus I am selling my VX-5R with its accessories and also the Radio
>Shack 212 I have at work with its power supply.  I don't use the handheld
>enough at this time in my life to worry much about selling it.
>
>But, the complication is that I just got named as leader of our local
>emergency response team.  It will be very difficult to act as team leader
>without a way to communicate during events.  So, after all that, here's my
>question to the group.  I want to find a very inexpensive handheld for 2
>meters only.  Can you suggest to me some model numbers which are fairly
>accessible and would put out five watts or so on high power?  Thanks very
>much to all of you and 73.
>
>Kevin, K7RX :)

Louis (Kim) Kline, A.R.S.  K2LKK
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]