From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 2002 05:55:09 -0700
Hello, Everyone,

I find myself in an interesting position here.  Last weekend I purchased an
Icom 706 at the local ham fest at what was a very good price but when I
brought it home I learned from my xyl that she had somehow missed our August
house payment and, especially since we're in the middle of a refinance, she
had to pay two payments this month.  Ouch!  That one hurt a lot.  I find
myself needing to rethink my radio choices in order to afford to keep the
706.  Thus I am selling my VX-5R with its accessories and also the Radio
Shack 212 I have at work with its power supply.  I don't use the handheld
enough at this time in my life to worry much about selling it.

But, the complication is that I just got named as leader of our local
emergency response team.  It will be very difficult to act as team leader
without a way to communicate during events.  So, after all that, here's my
question to the group.  I want to find a very inexpensive handheld for 2
meters only.  Can you suggest to me some model numbers which are fairly
accessible and would put out five watts or so on high power?  Thanks very
much to all of you and 73.

Kevin, K7RX :)