From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Oct 2001 12:29:32 -0600
Anything studied builds character.  However, honesty and respect builds
integrity.  You can go down and purchase a ham rig from a store or from a
third party, pick up the microphone, and start talking and you can get away
with doing so even though you don't have the license to prove it.  You can
do the same on CW but certainly not as easily.  I've been an extra class
since 1979 and I haven't made a side band contact for over two years because
I enjoy CW but I would never in a million years think CW makes me a better
person than others just because I can rag chew at 50 words per minute.  We
also do not need a CW test.  After all, who, in their right mind, is going
to go down to the CW bands and try and work someone unless they have studied
the code in the first place?  The answer is simple, no one.  The reverse is
not true when it comes to picking up a microphone so we need the written
test in that case even if it does nothing more than protect part of the ham
radio hobby.  Again, when it comes to CW, no one is going to work it unless
they have learned the code so why bother testing for it.  No, now that I
think about it, I am a better person for having learned the code.  In fact,
I am a better person than everyone.  In fact, I'm the best ham in the world.
Where's my trophy for best ham for the year?  I will be expecting it in the
mail any day now.  Oh, one more thing.  What is ham radio anyway?  I forget
now since I just memorized the answers to pass the written test.  Try doing
that with the code test.

73,
Phil,
k0nx