From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Feb 2010 16:43:01 -0700
the element should be wired directly to the mic or audio input and mic
ground of the kenwood mike jack.
what's likely happening is the heil adapter is wanting mike audio to be tip,
PT to be ring and sleeve to be ground...and the kenwood speaker mike is
probably using the ring for audio and the tip for PTT...
also, silly question, but you know that kenwood speaker mikes have the
larger plug, the 3.5MM plug for the speaker or audio out, and the 2.5MM or
smaller plug for audio input or microphone?
I thought the heil adapters just used the 3.5MM sized jack and didn't accept
the 2.5MM?
Unless you have rewired the speaker mike to send mic audio to the 3.5MM jack
which is not the standard design.
So, try putting one side of the mike element to the tip of the 3.5MM plug,
and the other side to the sleeve, and you should get results...
All that said, I have no idea what the heil adapters wiring scheme is, but
for the most part, most microphones that terminate in a 3.5MM jack use the
tip and sleeve for the microphone element and the ring for either power if
its a condenser or some other function other than audio.  presumably, the
Heil adapter uses the ring for the PTT function...
to answer your original question, most, if not all modern ham rigs use
600ohms mike impedance.
it's standard in the audio industry more or less...that's why you can use a
studio microphone directly into the radio and get proper modulation.

73
Colin, V A6BKX