From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 2015 21:04:12 -0400
Hmmmm:

That's interesting.

I'm wondering why I can't get Huntsville to stop here once Wolf Lake is
activated.

I had the same problem at work.

So, the problem is occurring on two computers.

Am using Windows 7 and Jaws on both machines.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Dave:

I am about 55 miles due north of Grand Rapids, so the station I get my local
weather info from is WNG672, out of a place called Wolf Lake.  They are
about 30 miles northwest of me, and cover my county, as well as adjacent
counties to my north and west.

The strange thing with the Wunderground classic web site now is that even
when I activate the listen link for the transmitter I want, the Huntsville,
Alabama broadcast never goes away.  It just continues underneath the one I
really want to listen to.

And, I agree totally on the greater desirability of local voices, and
personalized broadcasts.  This is the way NOAA weather radio used to be.  I
suspect the standard robotic voices that are now used pretty much across the
board were implemented as a cost-saving tool, rather than paying someone
local to create the more customized broadcast feeds.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Lloyd and all:

Today, I had a very strange experience with Wunderground, and I'm wondering
if it might be related to the pending discontinuation of the wunderground
classic web site.

This afternoon, while at work, I tried accessing the streaming audio from
the NWS transmitter that is nearest to where I live, and when I clicked on
the usual URL:

http://classic.wunderground.com/wxradio/

I automatically got the streaming audio feed from the NWS office in
Huntsville, Alabama.  I then scrolled down through the list of streaming
broadcasts, until I found the one from my local office here in west-central
Lower Michigan.

When I hit enter on it, the local broadcast came up, but underneath it was
still the Huntsville, Alabama audio feed.

Needless to say, this made for a rather challenging listening experience.

What is really strange is that I couldn't get rid of the Huntsville
broadcast, no matter what I did.

Has anyone seen this kind of behavior, and if so, how do you get rid of it?

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

Subject: odd finding at braille.wunderground.com

Hi all!

I often use this site for checking weather in other places, but saw
something there today that really surprised me.

When checking shd, which is the airport code for Shenandoah Valley regional
airport, the forecast looke mostly reasonable, but the shock is the
expectation of temperature, regardless of whether it's talking about night
or day. Jaws says 10000C for all.

The current conditions and everything else seems reasponable, but those
temperatures suggested in the forecast certainly strike me as unthinkable,
hi hi.

Just wondering if others see similar problems with other area forecasts, or
if there is perhaps a better place to look, given that particular result is
so outlandish to be useful.

The main reason I went there today was to see when sunset was in order to
calculate a time for suggesting a sked to a friend in that area, but that
temperature expectation definitely floored me!

73,
Dave

David Allen, Director
Blind-Sight Limited
For computer training and support world-wide, equipment or braille
production please contact me through any of the following ways:
Email: [log in to unmask]
Telephone: 64-3-455-7694 (Home)
64-27-224-5489 (Mobile)
PO Box 9046