From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2010 02:03:05 -0700
tipping will always depend on the service you receive.
if a taxi driver is pleasant, makes you feel comfortable, helps a little
perhaps with bags and getting you to a bell hop or hotel doorman so you
don't wander around looking like your lost, then a 15 to 20 per cent tip is
generally in order.
If the taxi driver is unpleasant, doesn't say a word and does nothing beyond
the task of driving the vehicle, then I don't usually tip anything.
if it is somewhere between these two, a couple bucks usually if the fair is
around $20, 3 if it's $35 and over.
Bell hops always expect at least a dollar, perhaps two...if you tip
generously the first time, they are usually more likely to rush to your aid
or service when they spy you again...even if you have no bags to carry,
they'll often assist with navigating a hotel or give you some good info on
the layout if you give them a few dollars.
The folks who help you from the airport door to the check in counter, and
from the check in counter to the gate and onto the plain don't expect tips,
and are often not allowed to accept them...they are usually specific airline
staff once past the ticket counter, and usually airport security or sky caps
from the taxi line to the ticket counter.
they are also payed to perform these duties, and payed generally much better
than a typical taxi driver or hotel employee.
They are also trained to work with people with disabilities and don't expect
to be tipped.
service workers can usually always be tipped, IE bell hops, baggage
carriers, cab drivers, restaurant staff etc.
It will also depend on where you are in the US as to how much is expected.
In wealthier areas, 15 per cent of total cost for you is minimum and pretty
much expected all the time.
Allot of places have a 15 per cent tip that is automatically added to the
total in restaurants.

For instance, the more you tip in vegas, the better off you'll be...although
even if you tip a dollar flat to each person, you'll still receive good
service, but not excellent service...tip 5 bucks to your baggage carrier who
takes your stuff up to your room and they'll usually bend over backwards to
assist you in anything...
I've done this before and each time I did, I was assisted with my room
layout, help figuring out the heating/cooling system, tv system and anything
else I needed a pair of eyes to alert me to.
and a kind hello or greeting each time that same person saw me again in the
hotel.
so a few things.
And, what ever you do, don't try to tip any airline staff...it's not quite
insulting, but it's not done.

73
Colin, V A6BKX