From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 May 2015 04:37:32 -0500
There was also another technique people used in those days.  In New Orleans,
we called them spook lines which meant that if enough people called a number
while it was busy, you could talk to each other through the busy signal.  Of
course this caused problems for the owners of those numbers because they
were almost never not busy, and phone companies solved that problem by
putting more resisters on those numbers making the busy signal very much
louder.
Harvey