From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Mar 2009 18:04:14 -0400
Hi John.

That was my first thought, although that is usually more of an issue with
things that have a metal chassis, like my old Hallicrafters S108 shortwave
receiver.  If you didn't plug it in the right way, there was a pretty
substantial voltage on the case, which I found out the hard way when I
bridged the difference in potential between it and the Hallicrafters S20R
that was sitting right next to it.

A local radio shop rewired the S108 with a three conductor cord and
strapped the ground pin to the chassis and that took care of the problem,
but the memory of that shock is something I'll never forget.

I'm starting to wonder if this was some kind of a capacitive discharge
rather than a steady current.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 09:04 AM 3/9/2009 -0400, you wrote:
>I had one of those old radioshack talking alarm clocks that was out in the
>80s for a long time and I got a beautiful static electricity shock from it
>about 10 years ago which killed it and had me checking to see if I still had
>fingers left for a few minutes. That was the end of that clock, it made a
>funny noise and never worked after that. With a plastic case, that's the
>only thing I can think of.

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]