From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2006 09:54:38 -0600
that's mostly because there is sometimes a mind set of hams to not use the
repeaters for rag chewwing.
I find this amusing and not very logical...since the whole idea of setting
up a repeater is to have a wider range and better coverage over a large
area....which should encourage more chatter...but I have heard many
references to leaving the repeater open for "emergency use" or "in case
someone has to get in there and make a call" which of course is just a way
of saying you don't know what to say anymore.
I get some ridacule locally because i do like to have a conversation on the
repeaters...many hams claim that they can't break in, or can't get ahold of
other hams to go for coffee, dinner, breakfast whatever, because the
repeater was in use....that is why i always try to leave at least a 3 or 4
second break before i key up to let anyone who really wants in there, to get
in.

I also constantly monitor 146.52 for any traffic from tourists or anyone
passig through....quite offen people don't know which repeaters to use, or
which ones are active and either have 52 in their scan list or just leave
the rig on that frequency....and thankfully there is quite a devoted group
who monitor and rag chew on that frequency.
Simplex is one of the best kept secrets of 2M and 70CM comms these
days...since every new ham seems to only know about the repeaters and
doesn't think to try using regular old simplex.
Even using a handheld its fine, since many people who use simplex on a
regular basis have bass antennas that can hear pretty well.

73
Colin, V A6BKX