From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Mar 2006 19:03:21 -0500
Hi.

I was tired and rambling last night.  The whole reason why I stayed away
from Icom is because of the way they handle setting up PL tones.

Having said that, I would have bought the TS480S if it had 2 meters, but I
needed to replace my old Kenwood TR751A (that I used to death), and the
replacement ended up being the TS2000S.  It is nowhere near as good on 2
meters as the old Kenwood TR751A, which had exceptional sensitivity.

I think Icom makes some superior HF gear, but I've not found the same to be
true with VHF/UHF.  I've owned a bunch of rigs and the top three were the
Kenwood TS780S, the TR751A, and the TS790A in that order.  That is based on
receiver sensitivity and intermod rejection.

My Icom IC271H wasn't bad, but wasn't as sensitive as the Kenwoods, and I
found my old Icom IC290A to be comparatively deaf unless I stuck a good
preamp ahead of it.

Frankly, for urban use, I don't think much of the IC706 at all.  It is the
worst radio that I have in terms of intermod susceptibility, and I don't
think it is even that good on HF--a far cry from my old Icom IC735.

I think I'm rambling again, so I'll stop now.

73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]