From:
shawn klein <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Nov 2003 13:29:37 -0800
Yeah, pretty cool, but I think you'd need a lot more
bandwith per sat to meet the worlds internet bandwith
demand, and wouldn't that mean bigger sattelites, or
significantly lower power per channel? It reminds me
of the system of cellular sattelites I started hearing
about in the late 90's, but cell phone calls aren't
free yet, and if I remember correctly, you're only
using 1 of those sats if you're out of range of a
ground based cell site. And u know how difficult it is
for everybody to agree on just 1 standard. I read
somewhere recently that the Europeans have a superior
wireless network because everything is on 1
standardized system over there, which isn't the case
her in the states where every company has it's own
separate network type that's incompatable with
everyone else's so we are duplicating resourses in the
big cities and leaving rurral areas high and dry
because there isn't enough demand. Sure would be cool
if somebody could pull it off though. You talk about
this type of tech making amateur radio irrelevant, but
15 years ago how many people in the general public
could say they regularly communicate with people all
over the world they've never met face to face? How
about now? Think about it! But ham radio still exists.
The picosats are a great idea too. If it gets off the
ground in it's entirety we'll have yet another
operating system that'll be independent of the power
grid. That's 1 of the drawbacks of internet relay
programs like e q s o and echolink. I think it would
be another great boon to those who have to deal with
antenna restrictions.

Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
http://companion.yahoo.com/