From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:32:54 -0400
Hello to all.

I think this is an unfortunate subject.  Everyone has their own style of
operation, just as everyone has their own style of speech.  While there are
idioms that people use in speaking that I might find irritating, I would
not walk up and tell them so because that would be rude, and what would it
accomplish anyway?  It would either make them feel self conscious, make
them feel badly, or make them angry.

Whether someone says QTH or 73s isn't going to make a diddley bit of
difference in the big picture.  I think that stirring up controversies and
divisions of this nature within amateur radio is far more damaging than
these utterances ever thought of being.  I have generally lived by the
principle that if it doesn't violate the rules of the agency that governs
radio communications (in my case, the FCC), then leave it alone.  I think
that respecting the other guy's individuality and dignity are far more
important.

Let's not loose sight of another thing.  Most people turn to amateur radio
as a form of leisure.  The last thing they need is to have a bunch of
semantic perfectionists picking apart everything that they say.  In my
humble opinion, this type of thing has killed amateur radio.

73, de Lou K2LKK

   At 10:49 PM 9/25/02 -0400, you wrote:
>     Hi all.  Have you ever heard someone on your local repeater and use the
>Q signals of QTH or QSL.  It has me wondering if this is appropriate
>protocol?  I thought i would ask others before I correct someone and get
>embarrassed by being wrong. Gary KB2YAA

>Introducing NetZero Long Distance
>Unlimited Long Distance only $29.95/ month!
>Sign Up Today! www.netzerolongdistance.com

Louis (Kim) Kline, A.R.S.  K2LKK
e-mail:  [log in to unmask]
Work e-mail:  [log in to unmask]