From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Aug 2009 13:14:21 -0600
hey all:
ok, i have a bit of a problem with the ICT90a.
I have been using it in the car and it has been working fine.  One day i
went to turn it on after charging it for 18 hours, as per the manuals
directions, and it wouldn't turn on with just the battery.
I took it back in and put it on the charger again, thinking that perhaps
something was unplugged and the battery didn't charge.  The radio turned on
and off just fine when plugged in.
I charged for another 24 hours and the same problem persisted.
Once i unplug the radio from the charger, it will not turn on, and turns off
immediately if i unplug it while it is already on.
I checked the battery and it shows a full 7.8 volts, which is normal for
that battery during normal usage.
I left the radio off the charger for a few days and checked the battery
again to see if it was draining, and still have a full 7.8 volts.
I performed a full reset twice, and still nothing.
I suspect the battery is just not providing enough current anymore to turn
the rig on, though i'm not sure why that would be since it was functioning
just fine just before this started.
either that, something has gone sideways with the battery contacts inside
the battery compartment of the radio...but again, not sure how since the
thing wasn't dropped or damaged before it started acting up.
Any thoughts or suggestions?

Also, has anyone ever successfully operated the ICT90 using a full 12 or
13.8 volts into the charging jack such as from a regular cigarette lighter
plug or power supply?  I don't want to have to buy the special filtered and
stepped down cigarette lighter adapter for this radio if i can avoid it.
Although, i seem to remember reading that if you put more then 11 volts into
the radio it won't work either.
thanks for any help here.
73
Colin, V A6BKX