From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Mar 2006 00:03:16 -0700
almost, but not quite.
APRS does indeed stand for automatic radio positioning system, but as
opposed to letting you know your position anywhere in the world, the job of
an actual GPS unit, it is  an interface between a GPS receiver and a
transmitter.
The transmitter takes data from the GPS receiver, inputs it into the TNC,
and then the radio transmits that data so that anyone monitoring that
frequency can then take that data and decode it to find out long and lat
position of the transmitter, as well as speed if the transmitter is mobile,
actual position on a map and various other peaces of information.
Usually, there are websites that monitor digi peater or simplex frequencies
and display information from APRS beacons either mobile orstationary so that
they may be viewed on a computer and then placed on a map of the region.
Basically, if you have a simple GPS unit, a tnc and radio, or radio with a
tnc built in, you can set it up to give your exact location on a
computerized map while mobile.
Some of the APRS tracking sites are accessible to some extent.
73
Colin, V A6BKX