Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:00:53 -0600

wa9top wrote:
   >I have an old tape that I need to play once on each side, so I can
   >record it with Goldwave.  Unfortunately, the tape squeaks, which is
   >bad for the rt-707, and gets in to the recording.  Does anybody
   >know what I can do to save this information.  Once I record it, I
   >never have to play it again. It's a 7 inch open reel.

I'll bet you it was Ampex tape from the late '70's adn early eighties.

YOu can bake the tape.  i"ll have to look through my archives but one
of those countertop ovens does, or a regular oven using just a 100
watt light bulb to heat up the inside of the box.  Bake the tape at
around 100 to 125 degrees f. for a few hours.  I'll dig my article
I've got in the archives out and ship it to you so send me a memory
jog.

AS soon as you've baked the tape be prepared to play it and dub the
contents right away or you'll have to bake it again.

Ampex tape of this era had what was known as "sticky shed' syndrome.
SOmething to do with the chemical formulation and the back coating of
the tape.

IF you don't want to wait for me to wrestle with moving and all do a
google serach on the newsgroup rec.audio.pro and put in tape baking or
sticky shed squeaky tape might even get you to relevant threads.

IF you don't have good luck with google drop me a memory jog in a dday
or two and I"ll look up the article I got from this newsgroup.  I've
used this technique a few times over the years to take care of a
problem tape I needed to play back at least once to get the contents.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania

A good captain is one who is hoisting his first drink in a
bar when the storm hits.