From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:28:19 -0600
I have heard many varying accounts from hams in apartments and condos.
Some claim they work the world regularly on nothing more then a ham stick on
the balcony, or a loop of wire around the living room, or even a tuned loop
in the window.
Others say they have no success and can't hear a thing with similar setups.
I know of a local ham who operates 80/75 meters using a quarter wave long
wire which is stretched from one end of his apartment, around a couple rooms
and out the balcony door to hang another 20 or 25 feet off the
balcony...when he's done using it, he has a quick disconnect that takes off
the 25 foot hanging portion.
I have never tried an HF station in an apartment, so I can't speak from
experience, but all you can do is try something and if it doesn't work, then
it doesn't work.
Don't spend too much to try it, and you won't be out too much money if it
doesn't work.
You must also take into consideration current band conditions.  We are still
at the low part of the sun spot cycle, and won't start getting really good
HF conditions for another year or year and a half or so.
So, if you are trying to use a hamstick or some sort of other mobile
antenna, or a wire and a tuner inside a building, chances are you won't hear
or be able to talk to many stations simply because its hard enough to do
that with an outdoor antenna up high.  Not to say conditions don't get good
from time to time, but you have to sit in front of the radio and hope to
catch some of the openings, instead of knowing they will be there all the
time as they are in the peak of the cycle.
If you do want to try something, get a mono band hamstick or similar antenna
tuned for 20 meters and try it.  Out of all the HF bands, 20 is your best
bet and likely easiest to get on.  40 meters might also be an alternative,
but you certainly won't be working DX on a ham stick on 40 right now unless
your in a prime location.
15 and 10 meters are more or less dead right now unless you have a 4 element
beam at 75 feet.
73
Colin, V A6BKX