From:
Jerry Neufeld <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:32:27 -0400
One problem is that u s b to com port adapters come in two varieties, good
ones and bad ones, the latter nothing more than rearrangements of a few
conductors and two disparate connectors. I rather suspect someone has one of
those gadgets. I bought one and chucked it in the garbage, once I took it
apart and saw the little that was inside. The proper devices have chips
inside that, coupled with drivers, normally on cds, sold with the adapter,
allow the operating system to recognize the equipment.

Jerry