From:
David Weigel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2014 20:34:33 -0400
Hi, Ron:

            Sorry to learn that your new rig - antenna arrangements aren't
operational today.  I think Miike Duke's advice is the best first thing to
check out.  I had the same symptoms that you describe with the ccoax and
pl-259 connector with a "spare" 20 meter dipole now standing idly in my back
yard.  I had exactly the same non-receiving problem when the coax antenna
feedline was fully connected to a transceiver.  It would receive signals in
a diminished way with just the center conductor touching the center hole of
the so-239 connection on the transceiver.

 I checked the center pin and outer screw-on the connector with a volt/ohm
meter and found a short.  So I painstakingly severed the connector and about
6 inches of coax and installed a new pl-259 connector on the newly severed
end of coax...and I know I did it correctly.  Yet the same non-receiving
property of the "new" cable connection still appeared.  I should have
checked the bare ended ccoax cable with the volt/ohm meter before I
installed the new pl-259 coax connector.  It was the ancient coax feedline
that was compromised - not the connector.  So, I need to purchase some new
coax feedline, and I'm considering upgrading to LMR 400 or the like.

            In your case, everything is new, and it will be interesting to
learn if the issue is relegated to the coax connectors, the coax, or
something else.  Recent listserv discussions have focused on low loss coax,
vendor recommendations and questions of soldered coax connectors or
crimped-on connectors, and I wonder if your coax came with connectors
installed by the vendor?

            In any event, Good Luck and a sppedy recovery to an operational
condition with both antennas.  We are anticipating a big signal coming from
that 80 meter loop!

                                                Regards.     Dave Weigel
KD4JEZ