From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Sep 2002 19:33:35 -0400
Hi Kevin.

Lou, K2LKK here.  I am not totally blind, but I have no useable vision, so
I think I can speak adequately to the accessibility concerns for the Icom
706 MkII, which I presently have with the voice board and an external
controller.

I don't think this radio is as accessible as some, but it is useable.  You
will definitely want the QSYer, no two ways about it.  It will simplify
moving around a great deal.  In fact, that is one of the reasons why I have
kept mine.  Also, if the budget will allow it, consider getting the AT-180
auto tuner.  Even if you have another auto tuner like the LDG electronics
AT-11, the AT-180 blows it away, hands down.  It is by far the best auto
tuner I've ever had.  And, it works from 160 thru 6 meters.

The hardest part about the Icom IC-706 is remembering the myriad of things
that can be set through the menus.  The radio does use some articulating
beeps, so a blind person can pick a reference point and navigate through
the menus if they know exactly what menu they need to go to, and precisely
which key to hit.  The beep for menu 1 is slightly longer than the other
beeps, making navigation possible.  Still, I find myself wishing for a
sighted person around her a lot of the time (I am a single home-owner, so I
can't just call someone over to look at the radio).

I  have considered the prospects of computer controlling it with JAWS, but
haven't really investigated how practical that would be.  However, what I
will say is that in our club's last Field Day exercise, the Icom 706 MkII
and AT-180 were the darling of the event for our club.  With the MFJ 25 Amp
switching supply, AT-180, and Icom 706MkII with mike, key, and various
cables plus the controller, I was able to get the entire station into a
package small enough to go in a L.L. Bean backpack, and still keep the
weight quite manageable.  I think a backpackable HF/VHF station is very
impressive.

So, while I would not rate the IC-706 Mk II as optimally accessible, I
would say that it is useable, and certainly very entertaining.  Hope that
this helps.

Oh, by the way, the voice synthesizer, as it is configured on my radio
reads off S-meter reading, frequency, and mode.

73, de Lou K2LKK

At 08:49 AM 9/9/02 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi All,
>
>I may be in a position to purchase a small HF radio for travel purposes and
>the like.  I know the question of accessibility for various radios comes up
>here often; but, I have to admit, I don't usually read all of them unless
>I'm interested at that point.  So, if the things I am about to ask are
>already in the archives, someone please tell me how to get there.
>
>Here goes.  The radios I am very interested in are the Icom IC-706 in some
>flavor, Yaesu FT-100 and Kenwood TS-50.  I am also interested in looking at
>something like the Icom 718 but I don't know how big it is.  My emphasis
>here is size and accessibility.  I am totally blind.  Can any of these
>radios be operated by a totally blind person with help from an external
>source such as the QSY'er for the Icom and Yaesu?  Please feel free to share
>your opinions with me off list if you choose.  Please send cc as well to
>
>Thanks for your patience and 73.
>Kevin, K7RX
>
>Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
>Dept. of Services for the Blind
>3411 S. Alaska
>Seattle, Wa 98118
>Voice:  (206) 721-6450