From:
Bob Humbert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2008 14:57:14 -0700
That machine was the reason why IBM was so slow about getting into adaptive
devices.  It was developed by an IBM employee in his garage in Lexington Ky
and he convinced the company that it would solve all of the problems of the
Blind.  It sold for over  $600 which was a lot for that in the mid sixties.
IBM lost so much money on that project that they didn't want to hear about
blind people again ever!