From:
Matt Arthur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2014 16:36:47 -0500
Well people do the same thing on repeaters to they key them up with out
saying anything and then there gone.
So with anything you do you will have some kind of problem.
So maybe it's best to have a problem
Thanks 73 Matt ka0pqw
On 3/16/2014 2:56 PM, Buddy Brannan wrote:
> The biggest problem I have with computer connects are the drive-bys.=20
>
> That is, people who connect for 5-30 seconds,
> don=92t say anything, then disconnect.
>
> It=92s a bit annoying.
>
> The biggest problem I have with RF connects
> are that a lot of Echolink system operators
> run sloppy systems.=20
>
> They either are linking a radio sitting on a repeater that doesn=92t
> have any CTCSS squelch, or if it does,
> it=92s on all the time. So all the courtesy tones,
> tails, ID=92s, and crap also come through.
> The only thing that should come through a properly configured
> link are the voices of the operators on the repeater.
> If the repeater ID=92s during the transmission, OK, but I don=92t want
> to hear your repeater key up my repeater just to ID.
> I also don=92t need to hear your courtesy tones
> and three-second tails tying up the whole system for everyone else.=20
>
> It really makes doing very much of anything really difficult.
>
> So if you can=92t put Echolink directly on your controller, so it has
> zero hang time and doesn=92t send out RF iD=92s over the Internet,
> be sure that the repeater it is tuned to on the RF side
> has properly configured CTCSS squelch, which drops with the voice
> transmission drop and isn=92t active for ID=92s.=20
>
> Those are, IMO, the two things that really give
> Echolink its reputation. Well, those and poorly adjusted
> audio that the sysops do not or cannot fix.=20
>
> With all that said, though, Matt, I agree with you.
>
> Vy 73,
> Buddy, KB5ELV
>
> On Mar 16, 2014, at 2:06 PM, Matt Arthur <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi John,
>> Well i have to say i think that's a bad way of thinking.
>> It doesn't madder how you get on wetther it's with a computer or phone =
> or=20
>> radio.
>> You still can come out on rf.
>> last time i checked my repeaters are in the ham band.
>> I don't and never will understand being that closed minded.
>> but you can do what ever you want.
>> Thanks 73 Matt ka0pqw----- Original Message -----=20
>>> if I don't have the IRLP board by then I'll probably scrap the whole=20=