From:
Kelvin Marsh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Jan 2014 19:32:03 -0000
Hi Steve,

When I evaluated the 590, I found the continual announcements of frequency
in Split mode were a nuisance.  Fortunately, there are options to deal with
it!

Here is what I wrote in the review:

***
Split frequency operation gives good feedback, but I personally found the
continual
voicing of the current frequency to be tiring and unnecessary.  For example,
when
holding the TF-Set button, the VFO B frequency was announced, and then the
VFO A
frequency was announced on the button's release.  If you are working a DX
station
using split frequencies, it is likely you will be pressing the TF-Set button
every
time the DX station gives  a report, and you will be searching for the
frequency
he is listening on.  You will be concentrating on the various signals, and
having
the frequency automatically announced every time will be a distraction.
I found two practical ways round this problem. Firstly by turning off the
voice completely
in menu B.  I cover this more fully when I discuss the menu system, and  the
ability
to switch between menu A and menu B. The second method was by turning off
automatic
Voice announcements.  This option is well thought out.  Basically, all
speech is
turned off unless one of the PF keys is pressed.  The TF-Set key will no
longer speack
frequencies, the number pad will not speak, and the menu system will be
silent.
Although I could not fully investigate this function in the limited time I
had the
radio, I found that although the menu system was silent, pressing PF A,
voiced the
menu option and setting.  If I pressed the TX Power button, only the beeps
were heard,
but pressing PF A, spoke the usual 'TX Power 100'.  In effect, the verbiage
was dramatically
reduced, but speech could be called upon if needed!
***

The complete review is at:

http://active-elements.org/2012/12/01/kenwood-ts-590/

Best wishes, Kelvin Marsh - M0AID

Working to improve accessibility for radio amateurs with disabilities

www.active-elements.org

For accessibility evaluations of amateur equipment and MP3 manuals