From:
Tom Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Feb 2014 15:52:01 -0500
Maybe true, but I tried melatonin once for a couple days, and I believe it
somehow interacted with the heart meds I'm on.

Made me feel terrible, seemed to do something to my heart rhythm, and scared
the heck out of me, so I didn't take any more.

So, as the various medical ads say:  "Consult your doctor first" before
trying it if you are at all unsure.

Tom Behler: KB8TYJ

From: Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]
To: [log in to unmask]
Date sent: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 10:58:39 -0600
Subject: It's legit

Here it is; the condition has been well described by others but apparently
we totals often have body clocks that run wrong because of no light
perception.  I have been in the test study for the new drug for nearly three
years now and have been taking the drug for almost two of them.  I may have
been on the placebo at first - I haven't been told and I don't believe that
the testing organization knew, either.  There were a number of test
locations around the U S and in Germany.  The test was sponsored by Vanda
Pharmaceuticals and the drug received FDA approval last week.  The drug is:
Tasimelteon and is a 20 mg.  capsule that you take 1 hour before bedtime.
It is not a "sleeping pill" so there is no effect in the morning.  I believe
that the medication has improved my sleep/wake pattern.  Not a miracle cure
but helpful.  My body clock was set at
26 hours or so, so as the cycle progressed I would get really sleepy at odd
times of the day and it was tough to be alert and on top of things.  That is
definitely better and I probably sleep better at night, although I don't
always sleep through until morning but I never have.  Not too big a problem
until they wrecked overnight A M radio!
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!  This is to be a prescription drug
and of course I have no idea about the pricing.  The ethicacy study will now
end - I have perhaps 100 capsules left and will see what happens to me next
week.  It has been an interesting study and hopefully others will benefit
from it.
Thanks for reading.
Pat Byrne, K9JAU