Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 22:00:59 -0600

scott wrote:
   >This is a well known problem and easy fix,  I did it all the time
   >years ago at the radio station I work at.
   >Get a box and a hare drier or a fan heater.  Something that will
   >produce hot air.  Stick the tape in the box in such a way that it
   >stands up so air can flow around it.  When I was baking reels I
   >would take a few and stick a pencil or doale rod through the center
   >and seperate them by a inch or so.  Close the box so the nose or
   >hose of the hare drier is sticking into the box.  Let it cook for a
   >few hours.  Check it once an a while to be sure it isn't getting to
   >hot. Ampex had a rite up telling how long to do it and what temp to
   >keep it at but we just did it by feel and never had any problems.
   >It can also be done in a convection oven but I never tried that
   >because I didn't know what temp to do it at.
   >Good luck and don't burn the house down.<g>

I'd have to look at that article, but at a studio where I worked I
seem to recall about 125 degrees fahrenheit.  Light bulb, hair dryer,
any of these things in an enclosed space as described will probably
get things to about the right temp.  Air flow around the reel of
problem tape and controlling the temp is a must.  AS I said in my
previous missive prepare to play it and dub it as soon as it comes out
or you'll have to do it again.

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania