From:
"Nathan, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 May 2003 08:23:40 -0700
Hi Michael,

Yes, you need to have the amp keyed while you are tuning.  The P-2000 meter
from RF applications that I have has a function where, if you hold the power
read button in for approximately a second, it will go into a continuous tone
mode which changes in pitch as the amount of RF increases so with an
increase in RF power, the pitch rises.  It is thus very easy to dip the
plate and peak the load controls on an amp since both actions result in
greater RF coupled to the antenna and you can tune for a peak in pitch on
the P-2000.  I hope this new meter will have a similar tuning aid type
function in it.

If you were reading the meter of the amp with the Fowl Gimmick, the
procedure would be substantially different since you would actually be
looking for a downward fluctuation in the meter when dipping the plate while
looking for an increase in the meter reading when adjusting the load until
you achieve final tuning with that last plate dip.

I hope this all makes sense and please don't hesitate to write if it
doesn't.  Take care and very 73.
Kevin, K7RX

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450