From:
Pat Byrne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 28 Jun 2015 20:35:27 -0500
 From K9JAU
Spent four or five hours here at home on forty, twenty and ten
ssb.  Forty and twenty were solid from late afternoon until almost
midnight CDST, then i faded!  Both bands were solid again this late
morning.  On a whim I checked ten around noon and it was open from
the east coast around through Texas.  All in all I probably made a
hundred contacts or so using a Carolina Windem and a G5RV.  Sindem
was better on forty - G5RV better on 20 and 10.
I began the event with my Icom 756 PRO III and eventually went back
to my old workhorse TS850.  The Kenwood controls just come to hand
faster and since that rig has been to many field days with me, it
just represents the event!
For many years I ran the 40 meter SSB slot for our local club and I
still love forty for Field Day.  I ran across our club station this
morning - i didn't know the operator and he didn't know me.  Times
and people change over time.  Heard lots of seasoned field day ops.,
and some new voices finding their way.  They'll settle in and be fine.
F D from home is fun, but not the same as being out with the gang,
sweating, chasing off mosquitoes and being goofy tired on Sunday
morning.  At this point in my life, I'll do the stay at home wimpy version!
pat, K9JAU