From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Feb 2005 02:02:01 -0700
with the amp inline as opposed to out of line, the swr could vary because of
the extra component between radio and antenna/antenna tuner.  So to varify
swr after the amplifier is actually physically connected in line you have to
check after the amp and if you have a high powered amp that you wish to run
at full rf output while checking things to insure stability then a meter
that can handle the power is necesary...this is why naturally they rate
meters for power like 2000 watts instead of only 2 or 300 that the radio
could put out.
With the coax hooked directly into the radio from a tuner or direct to an
antenna the swr will likely be different then that when the amplifier is
physically connected in line..that was the point of what i said or i guess
why i refered to a higher power handling meter as something a little more
useful, at  least for anyone running 625W plus.
It probably wouldn't change however if you just by-passed with a relay or
stand by/off switch on the amplifier because then the extra component would
still physically be there even though the unit is not being used..
Regards
Colin