From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Aug 2009 11:24:25 -0400
Michael,

Have you tried a cpu reset?  Maybe it won't help, but worth a try.   If it
is similar to other Kenwood's I have owned, the procedure is to turn off the
radio, press and hold in the a/b or a=b vfo button(I forget which), and
while pressing in this button turn on the power then release the button.

I think it could be the pll  or something else going bad but coming back to
life as  temp rises.   Cold solder joints on various boards are a  known
fault in Kenwood rigs of that era.

With the price of new rigs, or even good used ones, it should be  worth
having someone take a look at it, especially since you like it so much.
  Some guys keep their gear on 24/7 and while this may  help in the short
term, won't fix any  hidden problem.
73, Steve KW3A