From:
"Nathan, Kevin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 07:41:28 -0700
Hi David,

That is an interesting scenario on your field day experiences.  I don't know
why people have to get egos involved to the point where it will tear clubs
and organizations apart but I've seen it happen over and over again.  I'm
glad you could show by deed your capabilities.  I know my club will
certainly know what a blind person is capable of now.  We ended up with 215
cw contacts in the field day operation and I had well over half of them.  I
don't think operation will be a problem any more.  <GRIN>

I used TR log as well in my operations this year.  A friend of mine sold me
her Toshiba 486 running dos onto which I loaded TR and ASAP.  It is running
the built in Keynote speech from Human Ware and so it is integrated with no
other outboard devices.  We used this machine at the cw station and the
others who did operate didn't even realize it had speech until I told them.
VERY FUNNY>

It was kind of interesting but we ended up having an experience which kind
of represents the true meaning of field day.  Originally, my friend's TS-850
was to be the cw station with no speech but I figured this wouldn't be a
problem.  However, when we got all the rigs set up, we realized we were
short a tuner.  A friend of mine was ready to drive about 75 miles round
trip to go get his from home.  I pointed out that I had my portable station
we could use and it was right in town.  I called Kathy, my xyl, and she
brought it over.  This station is the IC-706 Mark II, an LDG AT-11MP auto
tuner and a Samlex power supply all packed into a rolling backpack.  She
brought it to me with about 20 minutes to spare before the contest started.
I had it up and running in about five minutes and was the first station in
our group to hit the air.  This station did a great job during the contest
and I was glad to give it a test of fire so to speak.  I do want to get the
cw filter for it though.

Anyway, enough from me too.  Take care David, all the best and very 73.
Kevin, K7RX

Kevin Nathan, Independent Living Coordinator
Dept. of Services for the Blind
3411 S. Alaska
Seattle, Wa 98118
Voice:  (206) 721-6450