From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 08:28:50 -0500
I haven't done surface mount stuff yet, but actual PC boards I have done.
They're not fun but I have done it, only replacing components, never
actually put everything on the boards. It's all a case of knowing where you
are with the tip of your soldering iron, for stuff like that I often use
needle nose pliers close to what I'm soldering as a guide, making sure
they're far enough away that I don't solder them to the work, if that
doesn't work or can't work, I find another way. If you put the time and
thought in to it and are always aware of what's where, you're fine. Of
course, you have to know what to look for in smells, timing and all, it
helps to work with wires first and learn how long it takes solder to melt
before doing work on boards where such practicing will almost definitely
result in something else being over heated and coming off or maybe even
ruining something. As long as you don't go crazy though, soldering wires you
can't hurt much other than the insulation if you go too long or are in the
wrong place, or me, I actually was soldering to SO-239 and BNC connectors
before anything else making antennas.