From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Aug 2009 18:16:12 -0600
yes, but it isn't depending on the computer to react to every variable.
It is allowing sensory input to a human brain wich can then react to the
variables.
The idea is to offer the same type of sensory input availible to a sighted
driver.
Once that can be accomplished, wich does not take great amounts of computer
power, then the human brain can take care of the rest.
The difficulty only lies in obtaining the right type of sensory input, and
methods of sending it to our brain for interpretation.
the time it takes to process things that are seen is longer then the time
taken to process things we hear, or feel or touch.
So, ultimately, given input from auditory and touch sources, we could learn
to react faster then a sighted driver to any given situation.
There is no reason we couldn't be given full 360 degree sensory input
through sound, touch, vibration, pressure, whatever.  We don't even need to
have the full 360 degree environment all the time, since a sighted driver
certainly doesn't.
you need about 180 degrees to drive compitently all the time.
So, as long as the environmental inputs can be designed so they are
different enough for various situations, and consistent and predictible,
then we can learn how to interpret them and utilize them to accomplish the
task of driving say through a busy city on a 4 lane road.
73
Colin, V A6BKX