From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2008 14:42:25 -0600
that's sort of like saying to someone who wants to buy a economical honda
civic
"forget the honda civic, get a porshe boxter 911, they do allot more and are
faster...or perhaps a full sized hummer"
that's not the point.  I have this thing against devices that bost a sort of
"all in one" mentality.  Not only are they typically very expensive if aimed
at a blind market, but they're also mostly replaceable by far cheaper
products that have many of the same features.
I suppose the blind market is just as lazy and gullable as any other market
populus though, so the victor stream is the answer to all the woes of having
to load rockbox, or use txt to mp3 converters or other software to get the
same experience.
If someone just wants to listen to music and audio books, then a 50 dollar
mp3 player that is known to be accessible with rockbox is certainly a far
better alternative then a 300 dollar device that does 10 times what is
required.
If one is really into reading things that come via txt, then spend another
30 bucks and perchase a txt to mp3 conversion software for the computer and
put books, documents, papers, yadda yadda into mp3 and throw them on the 50
dollar player...doesn't that make more sence?

All that said, the victor stream is a nice toy and if one has the finances
and the required need or want of its features, then there is nothing wrong
with the device.  If you want a hummer and can afford it, hey, why would one
not.
73
Colin, V A6BKX