Date:
Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:51:53 -0500
What you need to do is to look at the perkins brailler.  On the left side where
the metal frame is by the paper guide screw.

If you place your hand on the flat ledge above where you slide the margin stops,
slide your hand to the left and you will see the frame which houses the paper
lever release.  Now, if you move your finger toward you and toward where the
carridge would go, you will see a small gap between the frame and the side of
the brailler.

There is a spring-loaded device there which detects whether paper is inserted
into the machine.  WIth your fingertip, you can lift this lever up to allow the
paper to be rolled into the brailler even if it is not slid to the left under
that lever.

Another way which might work is to just slightly lift the paper release knob as
you normally do to insert paper, but only lift it slightly.  The disadvantage
with this method as compared to lifting the lever with a fingertip is that
lifting the release knob will also raise the metal pinch roller so the paper may
not roll in properly if it is thin.

Steve
Lansing, MI