From:
Paul WR1X <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul WR1X <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Sep 2002 06:08:35 -0400
Good morning to all,

I've noticed that many new Hams get right on to VHF and UHF as soon as the
ticket comes in.  No problem with that except I wish they would listen
first.  One of my pet gripes is this is WR1X for ID.  QSL after each
statement is another that warms the blood.
I try not to embarrass the person on the air, but ask him or her to call me
on the phone and I explain their error, not mistake, but what I think is
proper on air terminology.  Wrong term, but you know what I mean.  Elmering
is always nice and is appreciated by those that are just learning.

I had no elmer and learned the hard way so helping a new Ham makes for good
relationships.
I would probably have enjoyed CW more if a local "CW OP" would have taken
the time and walked me along instead of how good he is and that real Hams
operate CW only.  I now explain to interested persons that there is
something for everybody in this hobby and you can enjoy it with a dipole as
well as a large array.

One more gripe and it's those that use phonetics on FM with calls that are
perfectly understood.  If the call has letters that sound alike then yes
phonetics.

Gee, I didn't think I was going to bellyache this much.

Remember that Ham radio is a hobby and no matter how much work you do on the
tower or shack it's still a hobby.

Everybody, have a good weekend and 73,

Paul C. Bolduc

E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Amateur radio call:  WR1X

Located in the only town named Royalston in North America