From:
Louis Kim Kline <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Jul 2005 20:04:57 -0400
Hi.

I almost feel unqualified to use that subject line, since I've only been
alive for 45 years.  However, I've been a ham for 26 of those years, so I
think I've paid my dues and have the right to comment on the state of
amateur radio.

First of all, while I tghink there is a rush on the part of some people to
bury CW, I don't think that all of amateur radio's ills can be blamed on
that.  We've been talking about the decline in Amateur Radio and the aging
population of Amateur Radio for most of the last 20 years--longer than no
code licenses have been around.

First of all, I would echo Butch's observation that some of the worst
offenders in CB-like operators are long timers that are a little too full
of themselves.  That isn't a lack of CW, but simply a lack of character.

As for the comment about the method of CW testing, I took one of those
multiple choice CW tests, and frankly I'm as good a ham as the next person.

I think that the changes in Amateur Radio probably cannot be traced to one
specific thing, but really a number of factors.  I see one of the biggest
things that is killing Amateur Radio is an unwillingness on the part of
established operators to put themselves out by getting involved in the
community, by bringing others into the ranks, and by sharing of their time
and their talents.  Anyone who has been in a leadership position in a club
knows this is true.  And it isn't just Amateur Radio.  Ask anyone in a
volunteer fire department, and you'll discover they are having the same
struggles.  It's the character of our society that is changing.

And, while we are on the subject of rudeness, and inconsideration, that is
pervasive in our society, also, and I wish it were not so.  If we could all
live by the motto that rudeness is never excuseable, America would be a
much better place in all facets of life.

As for testing practices, I suppose one might be justified in challenging
the validity of a multiple choice test.  These tests are pretty standard
throughout American education and American government administered tests,
but as a instructor, I can tell you that multiple choice tests were
invented for the convenience of grading, rather than because they do a
particularly good job of measuring what a person knows.  The first code
exam I took was a multiple choice exam, and the second one (13 wpm) was a
fill-in the blank, which was considerably harder.  I never have been able
to write a minute solid of CW at higher speeds because I just don't write
that fast.  I finally realized that, and just took short notes on what I
thought was probably important and used that to answer the questions.  Does
that mean that I can't copy 13 wpm?  In actual operation, I copy most
things in my head.

My final comment is that everyone seems to want to create the whole Amateur
Radio Service to be just like what they like, but I think that beyond some
basic standards of competency, we should avoid that.  I do think that the
FCC should consider rewarding proficiency with privileges, and for that
reason, I think that there should be some recognition of CW competency at
the higher class of licenses.  I have no problem with no-code techs,
though.  I have many of them as friends in ham radio, and most of them are
people of good character.  Branding no-coders this way is a form of
prejudice.  You are making sweeping judgements about people you have never
met, and that is simply wrong.

That was too long to be two cents worth, but I've said my piece now.
73, de Lou K2LKK

Louis Kim Kline
A.R.S. K2LKK
Home e-mail:  [log in to unmask]