From:
Kevin Nathan <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 24 Feb 2008 10:09:45 -0800
Hi Matt,

I haven't seen anyone talk about my solution so I will throw it out here.  I
have a Kenwood TS-480 that I use here on the base station now since a glitch
in our finances caused me to sell my TS-2000.  I have taken this to Europe
with me and on a cruise in the Caribbean and the antenna I use is the MP1
from Super Antennas in California.  It consists of a base clamp which will
allow you to tilt the antenna in any of several directions, two one foot
rods which screw together, a coil with a sliding outer sleeve which screws
to the top most rod and a telescoping whip which mounts on the top of the
coil.  You can buy an additional fixed coil for 80 meters as well.  It also
has some counter poise wires which attach to the base with a slide on clip.
To tune this thing I simply mount it on a balcony rail, window frame or
whatever is handy and spread out the counter poises as best I can in the
space available.  Then, I slide the coil sleeve up and down the coil until I
get the most noise in the receiver on a given band, tighten the set screw
and then use the auto tuner in the radio to tune out any remaining SWR.
This thing has worked like a champ for me in many situations.  In Sweden I
attached it to a friend's patio table in one place and to the balcony rail
of their summer house in another.  I also did the same to a table on our
balcony onboard ship because the railing was slightly too thick for the
clamp.  I would just lean the antenna out over the wooden railing and it
worked just fine.

The little beauties are about $125 or so from HRO and others and I would
highly recommend it to you.

Good luck and very 73.

Kevin :)
Amateur Radio:  K7RX