From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 16:50:53 -0800
Well, as far as i'm concerned, the Kenwood is much more accessable.
Granted, I don,t have a list of the set menus, but I still think the
Kenwood is more accedssable.  The icom does not beep on any menu
selection, nore does it beep at memory 0.  The icom does, however, not
role over, so if you keep turning the selecter knob many times, you can be
sure you're at the top or beginning of the list in the set menu.  The
other plus the icom has is that you can keyboard select an empty memory,
so if you want to put a certain frequency in vfo, it is much easier to do
than in the th-f6.  You can select memory read on either talkie via the
keyboard, and the kenood beeps on memory 0.  I've used the cdomputer
software on the icom and find it works great with window-eyes.  I will
probably buy the same software and cable for the icom, but they really
gouge you on their assessories.  Example, Kenwood cigarete lighter cord,
$35.00  Icom cord, $45.00.  Kenwood computer cable $35.00.  Software free
download.  Icom cable $45.00.  Software $15.00.  Kenwood case $ $15.00 and
icom case $25.00.  The icom does not have a vfo.  It also does not receive
in wide fm mode above 900 mhz, so I can'g receive my wireless speaker and
headphone transmitters, I have one of these on the sterro system and one
on the satellite receiver.  Kenwood receives these, but seems to lack
sensativity.  Speaking of lacking sensativity, that is the main drawback I
can see on the kenwood.  I haven't put  them on the i f r yet, but the
Kenwood won't even hear tv channels that are full quieting on the icom.
The kenwood covers 220, the icom covers six.  I wish we could breed them,
would come up with one heck of a radio.  Hope this helps.  I've got a lot
to learn about the icom yet.  Any questions, write.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr