Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 05:06:04 -0600

butch wrote:
   >Actually, what these things were called is m o v, for metal oxide
   >verister.  They would fire on spikes, but had an energy rating, and
   >if this was exceeded, generally shorted.
He's right on the money here.  According to what I've read on the net
the Surgex products etc. are supposedly something other than a mov but
do the research and see if they'll give you any protection you don't
already have.

ONe guy I've read on the net has a mastering facility in Florida and
has I believe the Surgex whole building spike protection.  HE says it
saved him some money during the storms last summer.  Might be some
articles on his site about it.  Check out www.digido.com and see what
he says.  If I recall correctly he put up some comments about his
system.  I guess the summer before he got bit by some spi8kes thanks
to lightning and had his electrical contractor install one of these
when the insurance paid off for damaged gear etc.

THis is all hearsay though and I'm the world's biggest curmudgeon so
do your research carefully before you go ahead and beware the snake
oil salesmen.

73 de nf5b

Richard Webb

Electric Spider Productions

--- Benjamin Franklin, NOvember 1755 from the
Historical review of Pennsylvania