From:
Butch Bussen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Apr 2003 16:16:39 -0700
Well, I wrote a comparison on these a while back--knew I should ahve sved
it.  The kenwood is acdtually a dual mode or dual band ht.  Yes, I know it
is actually 3 bands, it has 220 instead of six as the icom does.  What I
mean is you can monitor two frequencies at the same time, not true with
the icom.  The icom has two big plusses.  It has much better sensativity
for tv reception, and you can keyboard select the memories for
programming, even an empty one.  It does not beep at memory 0 as the
kenwood does.  If I were only buying one, think I'd go with the kenwood.
I bought the icom mainly for tv.  Also, the kenwood hs a wide band seeting
above 900 mhz which I use to monitor my wireless speaker and headphone
stuff around the house.  The icom only has narrow above 900mhz.
Kenwood assessories are also less expensive and the programming software
is free.  The icom does also announce the freq in cw which is another
reason I had to have one.  I wish I could combine these two radios and
pick the best features of both.
Hope this helps.  If you want to write privately, you are welcome to do
so, but I'll be in Arizona monday through Wednesday and I don't know if
the hotel has internet access or not.
73s
Butch Bussen
wa0vjr