From:
Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 10:53:23 -0500
Well we've had fun with this topic haven't we!  I recall this guy who lived
in Pensacola and was a real example.  His call ended with MEN.  He ran full
tilt and was way over modulated.  Liked to call people names and crank out
insults.  Another story follows if you're not tired of the subject. . .

Stue Boowden and I were talking on ECARS, again about Apple computers.  This
guy called in with an S O S reporting that his boat was on fire and he had
one person dead and another seriously burned.

Stue, WI4B called the U. S. Coastguard and was reporting the message when I
recalled that the call sign given was the Lid in Pensacola and that I had
read in QST that his call had been suspended.

The coast guard triangulated the S O S and found it was coming inland about
400 miles.  That's when we shut down after 3 hours.  The message to remember
is that we can't afford to drop a distress call even if we believe it is a
false alarm.

Maybe we should form a LID net on EchoLink.

73
Bob Martin

Please visit http://www.wan-leatonks.net.