From:
Michael Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:10:55 -0330
Hi all:

Well I've made up my mind on my antenna selection and its going to be the DX Engineering Thunder Bolt 160/10m Multi band vertical.
I think this would be a pretty good all around antenna and some what maintenance free, unless a big wind storm is forecast with 80MPH plus winds and we don't get many of those.
Igor, which was one of the worst storms to hit NL in recorded history, only gusted at 135KM at my station's qth. The Thunder Bolt is also an antenna that me and my XYL could assemble and I could lower it to check the connections every few months or so, won't have to bother Club members! (HIHI)
I also won't have to have the hassle of lowering a heavy tower to titan up sections using significant man or ATV winch power. As for the performance, no, it isn't a 3 element mono band beam on 20 to 10M but it does play well for the low bands, which is what I'm aiming for.
I'd like to be able to work an occasional VK or JA on 80/30M.
Now for the tape question:
What's a good maker of liquid tape I can look for? Will have to weather proof both the soldered radial connections and Coax connection to the Unon balun. The club friend of mine generally supplied that stuff but I will want to get my own this time.

73:

Michael De VO1RYN

P S
Hope to be back on the air in a few months or so.
Will have to wait for the snow to go and the ground to soften! LOL