From:
Buddy Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2013 11:03:55 -0400
Hi,

OK, here goes...

Yeah, the earphone is just kind of OK, but both of them that I’ve bought have come with it. Any Kenwood-wired speaker/mic will work.

The USB cable works, though software isn’t terribly easy to use with speech. You can sort of do stuff with Chirp if you can use your mouse cursor or JAWS cursor, but easiest if you import from a .csv file. However, this doesn’t save all options, like power level for instance. The cable uses a fake Prolific chip, so you will need an older Prolific driver and force Windows to not upgrade it. Another option is to buy a more expensive cable for Kenwood HT’s, one that uses an FTDI chip, which won’t give you any trouble.

The 3600 or 3800 mA/H battery is great, but be careful. Last I knew anyway, it only worked with the UV-5R, not the RA, RB, RC R+, etc. without some slight filing of the battery’s case to make it fit properly. However, the thing lasts forever. The stock battery is still pretty good, too, and batteries are very cheap either way. I think I paid $23 for my 3800 Ma/H one. You can also get a cigarette lighter adapter, which has a cigarette light plug on one end and an empty battery shell on the other.
--
Buddy Brannan, KB5ELV - Erie, PA
Phone: (814) 860-3194 or 888-75-BUDDY