From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:20:33 -0400
You can tell when an AM station is using HD Radio because there is broadband
noise in the ranges of carrier+10 KHz to carrier + 15 KHz, and also carrier
-10 KHz to carrier -15 KHz.  It is not actually broadband noise, but OFDM
(orthogonal frequency division multiplexing) which is a large number of
carriers, each with its own simultaneous modulation, designed to be very
noise-like.  Currently you can only hear this in the daytime, but nighttime
activity is about to begin.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls