From:
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 2016 09:13:21 -0600
Howard, you have a very good point about the new gear. It is either not as
well built or it isn't being bench tested. Actually, I think it is a
combination of both. I remember the day when the manufacturers would bench
test every piece of gear they produced. From my understanding, they do not
do that anymore.

My old Alpha 374 amp wasn't nearly as fancy as the ALS-1306, and it had
three big tubes in the final, but it was built like a brick outhouse, and it
never gave me one nanosecond of trouble. However, I understand the newest
Alpha amps have several problems and many of them have been returned back to
the factory for repairs. They are really fancy and have all kinds of bells
and whistles on them, but if they don't work right and have problems, all
the bells and whistles in the world don't make them worth the big prices.

The good news is that I have my loop antenna and my TS-590 and can still get
on the air with a pretty solid signal. The ALS-1306 was just frosting on the
delicious cake!! <Smile>

Ron, K8HSY