From:
tom behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Jan 2010 09:23:43 -0700
  Mark:

I know some folks may be upset with my responding to your "off topic" post,
but, having been in your situation, and having had the same questions with
noone to ask, I feel compelled to respond.

Your thoughts on restaurant tipping are right on;  I usually tip between 15
and 20%.

Regarding tipping the taxi driver, airport guide, hotel bell hop, etc., I
usually take a stack of one dollar bills with me, and give out between two
and five dollars, depending on how good the service is.  If someone really
goes out of their way, I have been known to give them more.

I realize that  opinions will vary on this, but I think the bottom line is
that even a small tip is enough of a show of appreciation for the various
kinds of help.  The amount is probably less important than the act of giving
the actual tip.

Hope noone minds my responding to this question;  in fact, I'd actually be
interested to hear what others say.

Good luck on your trip, Mark, and I hope you are going somewhere enjoyable.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ