From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2016 17:15:10 -0500
The subject of how to record voice messages on the 590 came up this
afternoon on 40 meters.    While I don't use this feature myself,  I
know that some folks have had  problems getting it to work.      I said
I would post something I had gotten from the 590 e-mail list that is
supposed to  clarify some of the  porly written stuff in the manual.

73, Steve KW3A

 From the TS-590 mailing list:

Overcoming the confusing instructions for the VGS-1 voice recorder
Mon Oct 8, 2012 10:45 pm (PDT) . Posted by:
"AG0N-3055" glmcduffie
A few days ago, I asked for help using the VGS-1 or voice record
function. I didn't need help with the voice announcements of
transceiver operating parameters, but wanted help making recordings to
be played over the air, such as CQs for contests, etc. This operation
is "explained" on page 59 of the operator's manual, however, Kenwood's
terminology is not quite as good as it could be, and is intermingled
with instructions of how to do other things at the same time. The
manual is correct, but the words don't match what the brain thinks when
you read them. Kenwood definitions are stated on page ii (pg 4 in the
pdf file version). I will use MY terminology in this explanation, so
when I say push and hold, you push and hold until told to do otherwise.

First, you have four recordable message memories, unless you have
constant recording enable on menu 55. I have it enabled on mine.
Instructions for using #4 with constant record turned off are the same
as using #1, #2, and #3.

Prior to recording, turn the VOX off and the receive volume to zero.
Turning the VOX off will prevent inadvertent transmission, and the
volume at zero prevents background noise from being a part of your
recording.

You must be in a voice mode to record a message.

Choose a memory slot for your recording. Let's say #2 for this example.
Using #1 or #3 is done the same way by substituting the proper key.

Press and hold the [CH2(REC)] key until you hear BT on CW, then release.
AP3 -- will appear on the right side of the display. It is now ready to
record in slot 3. At this point, you can set the mic gain if it needs
to be changed. I have found it does not need to do more than tickle the
ALC meter (and the radio should not key when you do this). The playback
level will run the ALC over the end of the scale on playback. At least
it does on mine.

Ready to record?

Press and continue to hold the [CH2(REC)] key and say your message into
the microphone. A countdown will appear on the display and you must
finish before it reaches zero. At the end of your message, release the
[CH2(REC)] key. The display will show "WRITING".

When WRITING goes away, you can check your recording by tapping the
[CH2(REC)] key momentarily. Local playback volume is set in menu 05.
You will want to "keep it tight". Don't leave any space before and
after your message. Press the key and talk immediately. End the
message on the last word by releasing the key immediately. In most
cases, a blank space will get in your way on playback.

If you don't like your message and want to try again, just use the same
procedure to record over it. It does not need to be erased first.

If you WANT to erase a memory, use the steps above, as if you were going
to record. While you are holding the key down to record, press the CLR
button then release all buttons. Message erased.

If you like your recorded message and want to play it on the air, turn
the VOX on and tap the [CH2(REC)] key.

If you have constant record turned on, the incoming audio is always
being recorded and can be saved. At the end of the 30 second period you
want to record, press and hold the [RX4(REC)] key until you see
"WRITING" on the display. This saves the last 30 seconds to memory, and
will take longer to write than the other memory positions because it is
longer. When it is finished writing, tapping the [RX4(REC)] key again
will play it back. Turn the receiver volume down so you don't add
background noise to your recording as you listen to it. You cannot play
back while the PTT is keyed, either manually or by VOX.

Unfortunately, you cannot play the incoming audio back over the air,
even by holding the mic to the speaker. It stops playback as soon as
the PTT keys. It's too bad they did that. It can be very helpful when
trying to help someone with their audio over the air, etc.

I hope this will help someone who, like me, has trouble making sense of
the instructions in the manual. I'm sure after I hit the SEND button,
I'll think of something that should be included.

Thanks to the several of you who wrote to tell me how it is done. They
all contributed to this instruction.

Gary
--
http://ag0n.net